Saturday, January 17, 2009

Why don't I eat rice & sugar?


Asian people, as well as Indonesians, eating rice is a main part of daily meals. But, it has been seven years - in Tibet? Oh no.... :), I don't eat rice. Sometimes, 1-2 tablespoon, but it was brownrice or mixed rice with seeds. People often asked me why? Basically, I don't eat sugar & rice since I was diagnosed as type 1 diabetic in 2001. Still, people asked whether I'm hungry or not (the truth is not. I had 5 times small meal), they also wonder about the carb, where did it comes from since I don't eat rice? Vegetables of course. And until 2007, I had fruits - usually apples - as my breakfast. Few months after, I don't eat sugar & rice for a healthy reason, cause one day, while I had breakfast with my husband, back in our home in Surabaya, Fifo-my hubby, told me that his friend - a doctor - told him that sugar is a chemical thing that useless for our body and it is a toxic. At that time, I thought... Oh thanks God, I have no habits to drink or eating something that used sugar in it (if I want something sweet I use cinnamon or stevia leaves). When dining out, I always ask the waiter or the seller not to put sugar in the food 0r beverage that I order and sometimes I have to argue with them ;)

Unfortunately, lately I've been craving for carbohydrate, steamed bun and sandwich especially, sometimes I'm craving for something sweet - usually steamed cassava cake or banana cake. Why? I wish I knew. What a contradictive condition, while I'm struggling to get off from my insulin shot, and at the same time I give up to sandwich & cake. What a pitty...! I realized that I started to crave steamed bun & sandwich again when I use herbal tea to improve the function of my pancreas. One of conditions that I have to follow is eating no fruits. Since I gave up eating apples & papaya, I've been looking an altenative way to replace it. Then.. I found myself eating carbs again. No...no...no....

3 days ago, while I was looking a way to be free from sandwich & cake, I was browsing on the net about sugar & carbohydrate, then I found a lot of informations about how toxic they are to the human body. And today is the second day, I don't eat any sandwich or cake. Hoooray...!
Instead of the yummy steamed bun, I try to eat whole food, so when I'm feeling hungry, I eat steamed pumpkin.

These are my readings about sugar & carb:

http://www.mujeresholisticas.com/sugar-and-health.html

http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Why_Sugar_is_Toxic.html

So, I'm trying to eliminate sugar & carbs - again, from my daily life ;D. My God Help me....

No comments: